Army Emergency Relief

Hours of Operation

Closed all Federal Holidays

Monday 7:30 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Tuesday 7:30 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Wednesday 7:30 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Thursday 7:30 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Friday 7:30 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed


Soldier Service Center
Bldg. 5700, Rm. 350
Google Map

+1 (334)255-2341

Write an ICE comment

Army Emergency Relief (AER)

Army Emergency Relief (AER) is a private nonprofit organization, invz_acs_aerlogo_750x421_jan14.jpgcorporated in 1942 by the Secretary of War and the Army Chief of Staff, which provides emergency financial assistance.  Request for assistance and appointments during normal operating hours can be made by calling +1 (334) 255-2341. After duty hours and weekend emergencies can be assisted by calling the American Red Cross, 877-272-7337.

AER is available to active duty Soldiers and their Family members; ARNG and USAR Soldiers on active duty for more than 30 days, under title 10 orders, and their Family members; retired Soldiers and their Family members; surviving spouses and children of deceased active or retired Soldiers.

AER Donations

The Army-wide annual AER fund campaign is held 1 March – 15 May of each year. You may contribute online at, through your AER unit representative, or your local AER office. Donations are accepted year-round. All contributions are tax deductible.  Support the Army’s own non-profit organization – a Strong Tradition of Soldiers helping Soldiers!


AER can normally assist with emergency needs for:

  • Security deposit and first month rent for primary residence
  • Rent or mortgage payment for primary residence
  • Utilities: gas, electric, water, sewage, trash, primary phone, cable, and internet
  • Food, to prevent privation
  • Emergency travel
  • Emergency POV issues:  gas, repair, insurance, insurance deductible, loan payment for essential vehicle, rental vehicle, or repossession recovery
  • Funeral expenses
  • Emergency medical and dental expenses not covered by insurance
  • Repair or purchase of stove, refrigerator, washer, or dryer for primary residence
  • Repair or purchase of HVAC for primary residence
  • Minor home repairs; plumbing, electrical, or roof repairs
  • Purchase of economical/essential furniture (initial setup or disaster situation only)
  • Purchase of child car seat
  • Privation issues due to non-receipt of pay or loss of funds
  • Certain PCS moving costs if Soldier does not have government credit card and did not receive advance travel pay


AER does not assist with:

  • Nonessential needs
  • Ordinary leave or vacation
  • Consumer debt, credit cards, or overdrawn bank accounts
  • Marriages
  • Business ventures or investments
  • Fines, legal expenses, judgements, liens, bail, divorce, or child custody case
  • Home purchase, improvements, or repairs (other than mentioned above)
  • Lease of a vehicle
  • Income taxes

Active duty Soldiers needing assistance will need to complete an application (AER Form 101) for Army Emergency Relief Assistance.  Through the Quick Assist Program, your Commander or First Sergeant may approve assistance of up to $2,000 for Active Duty RA Soldiers (loan only; other requirements may apply).  In Section 16 of AER Form 101, choose QAP and have your Commander/1sg complete sections 21-24.  Please utilize the AER checklist (found under Resources and Forms) to determine other documentation needed. 

Active duty Family members requiring assistance when their Soldier is not in the local area will need to provide a current Military ID, an Army Emergency Relief (AER) Special Power of Attorney (SPOA), Form 53, copy of orders, current address and contact information of Soldier, and other substantiating documents provided on the AER Checklist.

Forms are available at

The Fort Rucker AER office also provides emergency assistance to members of other services through their respective aid societies. If an Army installation is not within the area, Army service members can receive assistance at any Navy/Marine Relief Society, Air Force Aid Society or Coast Guard Mutual Aid Society. If there is no military aid society within a 50 mile radius, assistance can be obtained by calling the American Red Cross, (877) 272-7337.

AER also provides scholarship programs for spouse and dependent children of active duty, retired, and fallen Soldiers.  AER’s Education Program is a secondary mission to help Army Families with the costs of education. Forms and detailed information on the AER scholarship programs can be obtained by visiting

Resources and Forms

AER Category Checklist

Commander/1SG AER Quick Assist Fact Sheet

Assistance Application Form 101

Routine Request Financial Summary/Budget Form

Quick Assist Program Budget Form 57

Spouse Re-Licensing/Re-Certification Assistance Checklist

View all AER Forms

Education Programs

Spouse Education Assistance Program

The Spouse Education Assistance Program is a need-based scholarship program established to assist Spouses of Army Soldiers in obtaining their first undergraduate degree.  Applicants must apply each year and may receive assistance for up to four academic years of full time study or eight academic years of part time study if they meet the eligibility criteria explained below.

  • Applicant must be the Spouse or widow(er) of an active duty or retired Soldier and reside in the United States.
  • First undergraduate degrees only.
  • May be enrolled part-time (minimum of 6 credit hours per semester or term) or full-time (minimum 12 credit hours per semester or term) in an accredited postsecondary or vocational institution.
  • Must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 grading scale.
  • Active duty military personnel are not eligible.
  • May not be fully funded by other sources

The award amounts vary each year based on the number of applicants, total approved scholarship budget, the applicant's Expected Family Contribution (EFC) reported on the Student Air Report (SAR) from the FAFSA, and the average Cost of Attendance to attend a college or university in the United States as provided by the College Board.  For 2016-2017, the Spouse awards ranged from $500 to $1,900

Major General James Ursano Scholarship Fund for Dependant Children 

The MG James Ursano Scholarship Program is a need based scholarship program established to assist children of Army Soldiers in obtaining their first undergraduate degree.  Applicants must reapply each year and may receive assistance for up to four academic years as long as they meet the eligibility criteria explained in the document below. 

  • Applicant must be the child of a federal active duty Soldier, retired Soldier, or a decreased active or deceased retired Soldier.
  • Applicant must be registered in DEERS.
  • Applicant must be under the age of 23.
  • Applicant must remain unmarried for the entire academic year.
  • Must be enrolled, accepted or pending acceptance as a full-time (minimum 12 credit hours per semester or term) student in an accredited postsecondary or vocational institution.
  • Must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 grading scale.
  • Applicant may not be a member of the National Guard, Reserves, or other military branch.
  • May not be fully funded by other sources.

Accredited postsecondary or vocational institution must be listed in the US Department of Education's Database of Accredited Postsecondary Insitutions

Applications and instructions are available for all the scholarships on the AER website at