- ODR 50
Celebrating 50 Years!
Get Outdoors, Get Active, and Explore more with Outdoor Recreation at Fort Rucker! The ODR programs and activities here on Fort Rucker provide a healthy alternative to traditional fitness outlets, building resiliency and life skills for the total Army Family.
You can enjoy everything from mountain biking, horseback riding and fishing to swimming, boating, camping or enjoy one of our many trails. ODR also provides programming for wounded warriors, children with special needs and Soldiers returning from deployment.
Through all its offerings, ODR lets Soldiers and Families take a break from their normal surroundings, develop new skills and learn about lifetime leisure programs.
Army Family & MWR is celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Army Outdoor Recreation and you are invited to celebrate with us! Fort Rucker Family & MWR will be guiding local patrons all summer long through services and resources offered by Outdoor Recreation, so you can start planning for your next outdoor adventure.
Join us this year as we celebrate ODR50 for a number of activities to get you and your family active outdoors! Ready to start exploring today? Give our experienced outdoor staff a call at 334-255-4305.
For more information please click HERE
- West Beach, Lake Tholocco Aquatics
Lake Tholocco is now open! Swimming hours are Friday - Sunday 11:00 a.m. to 3:p.m.
*For more information please call Outdoor Recreation (334)255-4305*
- Recreational Equipment Checkout
- Pavilion Checkout
- Outdoor Recreation oversees picnic areas at Lake Tholocco (West & East Beach), Beaver Lake, and Buckhorn Lake. Patrons will need to reserve pavilion areas through Outdoor Recreation (Bldg 24235 Johnston Road), or call at +1 (334)255-4305.
- Reservations are subjected to change due to inclement weather or military requirements.
- Picnic areas are authorized for use on a first come-first served basis, unless reserved through the Outdoor Recreation Pro Shop. Reservations are confirmed only after receipt of appropriate fees, and are subject to cancellation restrictions.
Conditions of Use
- Lake Tholocco (West & East Beach), Buckhorn Lake, and Beaver Lake are open from sunrise to sunset. To remain after dark, patrons must have written consent from Outdoor Recreation.
- There is no recreational (boating, tubing or swimming) activity allowed on Lake Tholocco after sunset.
- Patrons are responsible for keeping a rental sales receipt in their possession while utilizing rented pavilions.
- Driving or parking on the grass is prohibited.
- Pets are only allowed in the designated pet areas. Pets are not allowed on the beach, or in the swimming area, and must be kept on a leash at all times. You must clean up and dispose of any pet waste.
- Loitering in the vehicle parking lot is not permitted.
- Alcohol may not be consumed in the vehicle parking lot areas.
- Glass is not allowed in any picnic area, park area, or vehicle parking area.
- Music must be maintained at a respectful volume that does not interfere with other patrons in the area. Please play music that is appropriate in a Family environment.
- Leaving children unattended at any Fort Rucker lake or picnic/park area will be governed by guidance in the Army Aviation Warfighting Center Regulation 608-6, Supervision of Children. (January 2007)
- Patrons will be responsible for cleaning up the area used prior to leaving.
- Patrons may cancel without financial penalty by giving a cancellation 24-hours prior to the reservation day.
Large Jumping Area
*walking room still required
Call for pricing +1 (334) 255-4305
- Mentorship Program
The Outdoor Mentorship Program encourages participants to be good stewards in all areas pertaining to the Great Outdoors. Mentors connect with Soldiers and Civilians, in and around the installation, to enlist their assistance on recreational matters. Mentorship opportunities are available in the following categories: Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Water Sports, and General Outdoor Sports. General Outdoor Sports Mentors for outdoor sports will be expected to have any varying level of expertise as it pertains to the sport in which they sign up. All levels of sportsmen are advised to sign up to be mentors to foster an environment of good sportsmen and women as it pertains to common courtesies and practices.
Camping mentors are expected to have general knowledge of local areas that are open for camping, general fire safety and survival tools. RV and Travel Trailer campers will be expected to offer best practices for the operation and towing of those vehicles. Please be prepared to share general experiences of local campgrounds and places of interest.
Fishing mentors will be expected to have proper identification and licensing as they pertain to local laws and regulation on and off Fort Rucker. Mentors are expected to have a good to excellent level of knowledge as it pertains to the conservation practices of local area fisheries i.e. creel limit, catch limit. Mentors should be able to advise pupils of local and state regulations and policies as it pertains different safety requirements and practices. It is expected that mentors will have fair knowledge of local fishing areas on and off Fort Rucker.
Hunting mentors will be expected to have proper identification and licensing as they pertain to local laws and regulation on and off Fort Rucker. Mentors are expected to have a good to excellent level of knowledge as it pertains to the conservation practices of local area wild game. Mentors should be able to advise pupils of local and state regulations and policies as it pertains different safety requirements and practices. It is expected that mentors will have fair knowledge of local hunting areas on and off Fort Rucker.
Canoeing, Kayaking, Boating, and Whitewater mentors will be expected to have proper identification and licensing as they pertain to local laws and regulation on and off Fort Rucker. Mentors are expected to have a good to excellent level of knowledge as it pertains to the safety of the water sports listed above. Mentors should be able to advise pupils of local and state regulations and policies as it pertains different safety requirements and practices. It is expected that mentors will have fair knowledge of local water sport areas on and off Fort Rucker.
Outdoor Recreation is located on the West Beach side of Lake Tholocco, Fort Rucker. Lake Tholocco is a 676.8-acre lake that offers numerous recreational activities. Boating, skiing and swimming are favorite sports at the lake. Facilities include four fishing piers, beaches, pavilions, and clean restrooms. The West Beach swim area is a safe designated area where families can enjoy the lake. Swimming is only allowed when a lifeguard is present. Outdoor Recreation is EFMP Friendly!